Saturday, August 23, 2008

On Our Way!

I am so excited about the DNC starting on Monday that I have begun to get nervous about the details...I am checking my email every half hour for updates to the delegate schedule, I'm googling the transportation changes on the lightrail, and I'm trying to figure out what to bring to the hotel.....slippers, ipod, laptop, pajamas, camera.....check! The Governor is hosting a welcome reception for all of the Colorado Delegates tomorrow, Sunday, and the "clean coal" company is offering us free transportation to and from the reception from the hotel. Problem is...I am trying to figure out how to get to the hotel before the buses leave at 10:45am and 11:15am! I don't think I'll be able to check in early to the hotel but I would like to leave my bags there until after the reception around 2pm. I have never been so excited about getting downtown in my life! I think I'll just take a cab. Taxi!

Last night, during a happy hour meeting with my new friends from my trip to Egypt this summer, I learned that Barack Obama had chosen Senator Joe Biden to be his running mate for the Presidency -- one of my friends who teaches Criminal Justice at Fayetteville State University and has followed Obama almost as closely as I have -- texted me as we were watching the Olympics on a flat screen at the Irish Snug bar on Colfax. This morning, that rumor was confirmed. Joe Biden's experience in foreign policy and his initial reluctance to support Barack Obama in his bid for the Presidency will probably both serve to boost Obama's credibility with people who doubt Obama's ability to handle foreign affairs effectively and with blue-colllar and middle-income people who initially supported someone else in the campaign. Joe Biden brings a great deal of political experience and knowledge to the table. He is popular among middle-income voters. He has worked through personal tragedy and loss of monumental proportion. I respect Joe Biden and all that he's been through in his personal life since becoming a Senator and I hope that his allegiance to the Democratic party and to turning this country around will be bolstered by Obama's faith in him to help lead this country. Fellow democrats, let's get behind this excellent (and yet surprising!) choice of a VP for Obama and let's move towards electing Barack obama and Joe Biden to the Presidency and Vice-Presidency of the United States, respectively. See you on the floor of the convention on Monday. I'll be the one wearing the Metro State lapel pin . Can you see it from there?


Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger. Find Out How

No comments: